Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Glow in the Dark Space Blanket for Cameron's 3rd Birthday


I had so much fun making this blanet. 
A design popped into my head for a quilt for Cam and the ideas flowed thick and fast. 

It started with the concept of Graham's profile bottom left, with a telescope in the centre panel, looking at Cam as an astronaut in the top right corner.  

I found some glow in the dark material on line, and some space themed polar fleece locally for the back, and got creative with my embroidery.

Each square had a theme.  I used images and processing them with my embroidery software made them into embroidery files.  I added swirls of quotes, and embroidered clusters of stars as filler.  

Here we go:

Graham's profile panel


The Telescope panel


For Astro Cam I embroidered his body and printed his head from a photo of him in a space costume, onto material which I sewed on the body, then decided to make a 3-D helmet which attached, but could be removed for washing.


The Helmet is complete with a clear plastic face cover.
Important for breathing in space. 


 With the 3 D hemet on.

The Glow in the Dark Material


Elwood of course, and a sign to the star that was named after Elwood's Ball

 A general space panel


The polar fleece backing


  Put it all together


Quilted and backing on




I think Cam approved